1 Feb 2014

World of Warcraft: Having fun with surveying~! (Archaeology 101)

Hello guys~!

Happy Chinese New Year!


It's been awhile since I've posted due to (again) busy days. I've had my two days off and had been pretty lazy with all these stuff going in my head. So I figured out I had to cool off and come back to World of Warcraft~!

Yes, I missed my fluffy Pandaren Monk character (Elechim - Rexxar) and I'm in control again, feeling the keys of my keyboard and the tension of having to go back to the old school mouse (my Razer Naga's effed up) under my fingers feels refreshing. But still I'm too chickened out to try tanking LFRs (Raid finder) since I know I will fucked up the raid.... sooo yeah.

I've been doing some professions (secondary profession) leveling up which is Archaeology. It was nice to do this when you're out there just trying to let time pass by. It's never boring, at least for me, to level it up. So if you're a beginner (A Newb like me), this is how I figured out how it works.



Why did I resort to Leveling up Archaeology? Archaeology is the most recent secondary profession release in World of Warcraft. I thought at first it was a primary profession (talking about how newb I was...) not understanding the trailers, having no idea at all. I thought of making a Troll Druid with that profession. Moving on... I go bored with Fishing and Cooking (which I'll be leveling up pretty soon) and Archaeology sounds new considering the goodies you could make with it. So if you're quite bored with leveling up other stuff but you want to at least have a profession where you would not be required to farm anything, go with Archaeology.


How does it work? Archaeology reminded me of that mini Chocobo game in Final Fantasy 9 where you are using your chocobos to search for "treasures" using its beak to dig it up and you know you're close when your chocobo says "KWEEEEHHH?!?!". It has the same mechanics with Archaeology although here you survey for certain dig sites for some goodies and it doesn't have any timer so you could stay AFK while you go do other stuff (but beware where you leave your character, these dig sites are usually around mobs).

Dig sites. Dig sites are usually indicated in your map. It's the red highlighted area on your map (which at times shows blueish grey if you're away), and it's the shovel icon shown if you zoom out your map.
















Digging. Let's say you have arrived at the site, and you used the 'survey' icon (which can be found in your professions tab). There are indicators to know how close you are in an item. It is the color produced by your surveying equipment. Each indicators are represented by the following:


   


  Red - the item is far away. You have to walk a bit further towards the direction your indicator is pointing at.







 

     Yellow - The item is quite near yet a bit far. You have to walk a bit more around 12 to 20 steps further.








  


    Green - The item is near. If you're riding a chocobo, this would mean "KWEEEEEEHHH-HHHHHH-HHH?!". Yes, you just have to take 5 to 10 steps around your surveying equipment and you'll get your "treasure".






Things to get. Now you're definite start off with archaeology, there are some add-ons you might need to get. These add ons can be downloaded from here which will help you through your adventures.

       Archy. It shows how far you are from a certain digsite and how much fragments you need to have in order to solve one item.
     
Gatherer. It marks where your previous veins, digs are. It's good when you're also trying to level up your gathering professions.
       Archaeology Helper. It indicates the area covered by the red, yellow, and green indicators. You just have to use survey, mark the direction by pressing the red button.

These are all the basic add-ons you need to get through archaeology. You can download other add-ons but these are the only things you need and of course, a good music will do.






These are just the basics. How 'bout leveling? I suggest that before you solve any relics or artifacts and your skill is 15-20 points before the cap (for a certain level), better go to a trainer and move on to the next level so that you won't waste any skill points.

So there you have it! If you guys have any questions or comments or what, feel free to drop by. :)


Thank you for your time and enjoy~!



Love,

~M~

No comments:

Post a Comment